Wednesday, December 9, 2009

After visiting this area on 12/3/09 I wanted to explore it a bit more..Today (12/9/09 Wednesday) seemed like a good day for it I'd previously hiked to Sandstone Peak which isn't really sandstone but volcanic rock, the peak named "Boney Mtn" on the Tom Harrison map looked to have some possibilities for long free hanging rappels I've been looking for.

Tri-Peak seemed of possible interest too, after looking at the map I decided a loop to "Boney Mtn", Tri-Peak, returning to Sandstone Peak Trailhead via the Mishe Mokwa Tr and connector was to be my route.

The Old Road Grade (ORG) (they call this a trail, it drives me mad!. It's a friggin road will always be a road) out of the Sandstone Peak Trailhead was deserted as was all the area parking lots on this cool Southern California morning. There was evidence on the ORG of a possible Mtn Lion, I stopped at one point and took a photo of one of the tracks (1.14 miles).

I made good time to the summit trail to Sandstone Peak (1.45, 0:38:17), and on toward "Boney Pk". I decided to approach from the saddle on the west (2.20, 0:55:04) . There was what appeared to be an Old trail grade (OTG) here. I followed it down a ways until it appeared to be going in a direction I didn't wan to go. I then went cross country and on game trails to "Boney Pk"

As I suspected the cliffs I saw from Sandstone Peak trailhead parking lot where not as vertical as they appeared to be from a distance. There are some rock climbing routes with bolted anchors, I followed the use trail back to my start point which I walked right by on my way to the saddle.

Further on the ORG a spur trail to Inspiration Point beckoned (2.79 1:32:19). It was lunch time so I made for it. There's a little BSA monument with compass pointing to various distant landmarks. This spot provided some additional views of Boney Pk.

I made my way to Tri-Peak, the use trail becomes less and less distinct as I approached the "Summit", passing by a surveyors monument "El Conejo", it appears to be a random point on a section line, there is more rock climbing route here.

I went back the way I came passing one, then another, & yet a third hiker, as I made my way down Mishe Mokwa Tr toward Split Rock.

Stopped at Split Rock for a drink and look at the map (5.66 3:07:34) . The Tom Harrison map sez 1.3 miles I make it 1.45 miles or so, There where people climbing at the "Java Wall" and I passed 2 more hikers.

I took the connector back (1.3 miles) to the ORG (0.16) and down to Sandstone Peak Trailhead (0.35) for a total of 7.54 miles 4hrs 1min 47sec

Circle X Ranch area







No comments: